martes, 15 de mayo de 2012

Something to Share...


Last week it was time for doing the germination in the laboratory, as we do every year when we start our project on plants and, as THE DAY was getting closer, I started thinking: "Oh!, this will be hard and absolutely stressing for me. Working in the lab all alone with 23 noisy kids won't be fun!!!! I do not feel like doing it!!" Despite the fact that I enjoy this type of activities very much, this group in particular is very noisy. The boys are quite naughty and they find it really hard to work quietly and follow instructions when they are really excited about something (and, of course, they were veeeeeeeeeery excited about their first experiment in the lab).  
Fortunately, an idea came to mind. "Why don’t I ask some former students to come to the lab with me? They can explain the experiments to the "little" ones and also help them do it." And guess what?....The activity was an absolute success!!! On the one hand, the elder children had the opportunity to help others and to use the language in a meaningful context (they were “the experts”) and, on the other hand, the younger ones loved working with the elder students, who were there to share their knowledge and enthusiasm with them. I was great to see how the third formers looked up to the girls and boys from fourth. Moreover, I was there just to monitor and help, which implied that, for this activity, the teacher was not the one in charge of doing the teaching!!, A group of children was teaching other children through a hands-on experience in the lab, which they were enjoying a lot!!
This situation bacame food for thought. I started reflecting upon the fact that there are many opportunities throughout the year in which I could repeat this valuable type of activity, which turned to be motivating, appealing and which had an absolutely positive effect on both groups of students. From now on, I will try to lay ground for this type of learning and teaching to take place whenever it is possible.
                                           Ceci.

8 comentarios:

  1. Ceci, It was absolutly interesting to do the activity in that way and as a mother of one of the helpers I can tell you that for fourth formers was a challenge and they felt proud of the role they took!It is trascending the class and the classroom what makes this type of activity motivating. Talking to sts that are not in their group makes the whole task more appealing.
    Thank you for sharing this experience!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Thanks Vivi!!! I will do my best to make this time of experience happen as regularly as possible. Patsy told me that the students who participated felt really propud of the role they fulfilled and that the ones who did no have the opportunity to participate on that occasion were really eager to do it some other time. The idea would be to plan the activities so as to give an opportunity to ALL fourth formers.
    Love,
    Ceci.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Ceci,how nice that the activity was a success!! I believe that the most difficult challenge as an educator is to abandon the leading role and stay silent to give the children the possibility to take the lead and teach others! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Yes! Anita is right, it is not an easy issue to achieve that!But you are highly reflective and attentive...you are doing it...keep sharing these experiences!

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Great Ceci!
    I´m not sure we will have enough time, but I would like to plant seeds with kids to create a type of "organic orchard" this coming spring within the "Green Helping Hands Project". I might need the help of some of your students who are experts!! Some secondary school students might be involved too.

    ResponderEliminar
  7. It would be really great day!!! Count on me for whatever you need!!

    ResponderEliminar
  8. It would be really great day!!! Count on me for whatever you need!!

    ResponderEliminar